Sunday 6 July 2014

My first published article...in nothing less than in an ART MAGAZINE!!!

You might remember back in March I saw an interesting contemporary art exhibition just off Bricklane. Then I went to the opening night of the 2nd part in Espacio Gallery at the other end of Bricklane.

In the meantime their curator and beloved 'mother' of all artists: Shizico Yi, had proposed me the idea of writing an article about the art scene in Bricklane or about taxidermy,  if I had time and felt like to do so.
Of course I said yes! It is an honour for me from her acknowledging my blog and myself. Trusting me that I was able to provide an article on the subject that would fulfil requirements for being published in a new art magazine.

The magazine is free and it is distributed among the patrons of the 'no Barking art' family or if you write them requesting a copy they could send you one. It is also being published and printed not only in London but in Taipei, Sydney, Hong Kong and New York City!

Although I already had vast knowledge about taxidermy, since I am very much interested in it. I still went on a mission to find places where I could find evidence of their existence these days and what it represents nowadays.

So on the 22nd of April...when I was still in Sweden...the magazine was released!!!! It was happening! The feeling, that your article is published in English in England in a magazine which you already knew would mean so much to you, was some kind of mixture of unparalleled, incomprehensible and unutterable sensation of happiness.

You can read the online version here. pp18-21.

Sonja's adventures in Taxidermy article and photos
No Barking Art Magazine Issue #1 Taxidermy Article part 1
Sonja's adventure in taxidermy article and photos
No Barking Art Magazine Issue #1 Taxidermy Article part 2

I was so excited, yet had to be calm, because I was not in London. When will the printed version come out? When can I touch it it? Smell it? See it?

After Royal Mail had lost the first package, finally last week I received 3 copies!! So having the hard copies as tangible evidence of the magazine's existence allowed me to write about them and post some pictures with one of them!
The magazine cover in front of a mews
no Barking art Issue 1 
Tha magazine cover in front of a Hydrangea bush
no Barking art Issue 1 

no Barking art Issue 1 
no Barking art Issue 1 
no Barking art Issue 1 
no Barking art Issue 1 
no Barking art Issue 1 
Shizico Yi - Material World Special Feature
no Barking art Issue 1 
Lawrence Mathias - Sound art 
no Barking art Issue 1 
no Barking aRt Dog
no Barking art Issue 1 
Noemi Szabo - Body Exploration
no Barking art Issue 1 
no Barking art Issue 1 
no Barking art Issue 1 
Aster Reem David & Jassie Alamwala - Female photographers now
no Barking art Issue 1 
Brian Green & Pascale Pollier-Green - Double acts
no Barking art Issue 1 
Make us human
no Barking art Issue 1 
Sonja Pena - Sonja's adventures in taxidermy
no Barking art Issue 1 
no Barking art Issue 1 
no Barking art Issue 1 
Imogen Eveson - Digital art and illustration

no Barking art Issue 1 
no Barking art Issue 1 
no Barking art Issue 1 
no Barking art Issue 1 
no Barking art Issue 1 
no Barking art Issue 1 
no Barking art Issue 1 
Magazine cover laid on a table in front of a cup
no Barking art Issue 1 
...one copy is going to Hungary, so my mom can have one...I will keep one for myself over here in England and well...the last one is in the office, as some of my colleagues wanted to read it.
Many of my friends have also said they would have liked one copy, but that is not possible...so I may give it to my dad? or Udo? or will organise a raffle among my friends :) and will have one winner who could have it! Haha!

And now I started to work on the 2nd article...I can't tell you anything at the moment, but my visit yesterday to the exhibition The Human Factor in the Hayward Gallery had something to do with it...

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...